[Zope] future direction (was "problems with SiteRoot in Zope2.5.1")

Breuer, Yvon YBreuer@tee.toshiba.de
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:36:58 +0200

>> Jack Coates:
>> So, speaking as a perennial Zope newbie, I have to say that I'm =
getting
>> nervous about seeing all the things that I use fall one-by-one into =
the
>> "that's depreciated, use this other cool product instead." I don't =
think
>> I have a right to complain, but I'm complaining any way :-)

> Charlie Reiman:
> Technically, no, you don't have a right to complain but you do have a =
very
> good point. I'd like to echo it and point out the problem is =
exacerbated by
> zope.org not having a strong way of marking docs and products as =
deprecated.
> I hate finding a cool product, downloading and installing, only to =
learn it
> fell out of fashion with 2.something. Ideally, such pages should be =
marked
> and linked to whatever is the latest greatest substitute or just =
marked as
> dead to Zopes 2.x+

I totally agree!

Maybe it's an idea to create a list (or database, or spreadsheet) on =
Zope.org=20
that shows the 'preferred product' per task.
Since I'm quite new to Zope it's better that someone more experienced
creates it AND keeps it up to date (otherwise it wouldn't be usefull). =
:-)

Something like this I think would be helpfull:
- task
- short task description
- preferred product
- short preferred product description
- since when it's a preferred product
- since which Zope-version it's a preferred product
- link to extensive product description

Hopefuly somebody has a crack at it. ;-)

Yvon Breuer