[Zope] Subclassing Folder

Tim Cook tim@freepm.com
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 22:04:45 -0500

> welcome a bit and that maybe I just need to go off into a
> dark cave with
> just me, Zope and an Internet connection for about three
> months and then
> emerge an expert. :-)

Dan,
Don't get discouraged. <g>
You can download and install FreePM or email me privately and I will
give you access to the demo site.
http://www.freepm.org:8080/freepm_download

It is a medical records application. It isn't pretty (I'm not a
graphics person) but it does work and it is built with ZClasses.
The demo doesn't have the latest changes I made where I finally
figured out how to move all of the code into the Product to make
upgrading a site easier.  But, you can browse through the ZClasses
and maybe I can answer a few questions for you.  Everything I
learned about how to make them work is in the list archives and
How-To's.

BTW: The only thing I wasn't able to do with ZClasses was get the
performance I wanted/expected.  I also want to overload a couple of
the ZODB classes so that I can create my own audit trails. So, I am
moving to a Python based Product. I hope I can accomplish that since
products are loaded last.

No, it wasn't easy to understand how to write a Python Product, it
was easy to 'do'. May I even say that it is simpler than it sounds?
But, search the Zope site for 'minimal' there are two How-To's and
then look at the code for a couple of the other smaller products
like BTreeFolder or CookieCrumbler.

Cheers,
Tim