[Zope] RV: what's the best way to do this?

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
07 Jun 2002 13:48:50 -0400

Creating an intranet can mean just about anything, but a CMF would be a
good start if you need:

 - A membership management system (Member can join and have an
   online workspace)

 - A content management system (content contributed by members)

 - Content metadata management (like titles, descriptions,
   author info, etc)

 - Workflow (like content review and publication rules)

 - Skins (multiple ways to format/look at the same content)

 - Cataloging (text searching and field searching)

 - Topics (Collections of content arranged in categories)

 - Discussion (Threaded discussion about content)

All of these things can be built without the CMF, but it gives you a
huge head start, especially if you need most of the above in your site.

Security is handled very well in the base Zope. And of course all of the
base Zope functionality is available in the CMF.

I would start by reading an intro book such as "The Book of Zope" or
"The Zope Book". The latter is available entirely online. There are
other books that also cover parts of the CMF.

Anyone serious about developing in Zope should also learn Python, which,
if you've programmed in any other language before can be done quite
quickly. Its also a great language for beginner programmers. Knowing
Python gives you a tremendous advantage in understanding Zope and the
CMF (because you can read tracebacks and the source code and write
Python scripts, external methods and products).

Good Luck!

-Casey