[Zope] commercial versus open source

Bill Kerr kerrb@senet.com.au
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 23:43:14 +0930

Tony, others,
thanks for the feedback on my dumb question
sorry my post didn't quite fit the subject head either
OK, I'm on a learning curve here

I have this thought in my head based on what someone told me a while back
that Zope is better, yes better, in a strategic long term sense than asp or
php because zope separates logic from presentation whereas asp, php does not

straighten me out on my fuzzy thinking by all means
- Bill Kerr

from the dictionary (for my benefit no one elses)
PHP is an alternative to Microsoft's Active Server Page (ASP) technology. As
with ASP, the PHP script is embedded within a Web page along with its HTML.
Before the page is sent to a user that has requested it, the Web server
calls PHP to interpret and perform the operations called for in the PHP
script.

An HTML page that includes a PHP script is typically given a file name
suffix of ".php" ".php3," or ".phtml". Like ASP, PHP can be thought of as
"dynamic HTML pages," since content will vary based on the results of
interpreting the script.

PHP is free and offered under an open source license.