[Zope] running zope from behind router / firewall

Grimes, Steven steven_grimes@mentorg.com
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 16:59:17 -0500

If you are using a linksys router you may want to look at the DMZ option.
This totally exposes the server but it does not limit you to just 10 ports.
See the documentation that came with your router.

Thanks,
Steven Grimes
Database Administrator
Accelerated Technology,
Embedded Systems Division of Mentor Graphics
720 Oak Circle Drive East
Mobile, AL 36609
Email: Steven_Grimes@mentor.com <mailto:Steven_Grimes@mentor.com>
Phone: 251-661-5770 (external)
           8364-5085 (internal)

-----Original Message-----
From: rhood [mailto:rhood@mtsu.edu]
Sent: Saturday, June 22, 2002 11:51 AM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] running zope from behind router / firewall

Hi,

Could anyone point me to some resources for running zope behind a router
(e.g., a
linksys router)?  My goal: isolate the (linux) server in my office to just
server tasks
(apache, zope, slashcode) and let another (windows) machine share the single

ethernet
connection in the office (no chance of getting another ethernet connection).

I need to be
able to connect another machine because someone else will be sharing my
office, and I
don't want that person inadvertantly messing up my server (and because the
other
person has meager skills and won't transition to linux easily even if he
were
allowed to
use the server).

What I've done so far:
1) I set up the router with ip addresses, etc., copied from the server
2) I then assigned the server a fixed ip address as advised by linksys
(192.168.1.3)
3) I then configured the router to forward requests to the 192.168.1.3
adddres
--that is, I
have directed all http to port 80 at 192.168.1.3.  So now apache works fine.

I did the
same ssh, ftp, etc, and I can ssh and ftp into the machine as well.  I
assigned 8080 to the
ip address of the server (zope is at 8080) but no luck seeing zope.  I set
up
the mysql
server at the standard port, forwarded to the fixed ip as above.  But also
no
luck
contacting the mysql server.

Can anyone point me to a page of instructions or make any suggestions?

thanks,

Robert
rhood at mtsu edu

Robert Hood