[Zope] Zope/system/Web file relations

Maik Jablonski maik.jablonski@uni-bielefeld.de
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:11:22 +0200

hi,

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 07:45, Day Irmiter wrote:
> I'm gradually becoming familiar with Zope and
> increasingly astounded. It's capabilities are
> breathtaking! One important thing I do not yet
> understand is the relation of Zope's internal folder
> and file structure to that of the system on which
> it resides and to Web URLs.
>
> For example, to what does http://localhost:8080/
> correspond on the hard drive? \Zope\bin?

ZOPE stores all data in a database... called the ZopeObjectDataBase
[ZODB]. What you see in the Zope Management Interface [ZMI] is a view on
this object-oriented database. You should drop the idea of files &
folders [as used for traditional web-servers] and think of objects with
methods & properties stored in a Database. This gives you the power to
use Zope not only as a Web-Server, but as an Operating-System for the
Internet... Zope is really the Linux for the Internet...;-)

> Perhaps related to this is the question of how I
> get outside the Zope management interface - i.e.,
> if I have a small application built, how do I access
> it directly from a blank browser, rather than through
> the management interface?

Simply call your "object" [or document / folder] simply via the Url:

http://localhost:8080/yourTestFolder/IdOfYourDocument

create a folder with an id=test, enter it, create a DTML Document with
id=hello, edit it and then call:

http://localhost:8080/test/hello

keep zoped, maik

--
Maik Jablonski                         Deutsche Zope User Group
www.zfl.uni-bielefeld.de                           www.dzug.org