[Zope] mixing python and DTML is hellish!

Roy Mathew roymath@yahoo.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 23:39:54 -0500

Folks,

I have been trying out Zope, and am now getting beyond the trivial.
I do have a question about python vs DTML.

What I am finding is that mixing and matching python scripts and DTML
(methods and documents) is rather hellish/confusing. For example:

 o descending into python and then back up to DTML is hard, when you
   are trying to use acquisition. The python code does not understand
   contexts and acquisition in quite the same way as DTML.

 o I am trying to use the SQL Session object from within a python
   script, and am having all kinds of difficulty.

I am starting to believe that it is cleaner (although not as powerful)
to use DTML exclusively (and python only for that which is impossible
in DTML). This' kind of saddens me as the "Zope Book" suggests that
python is highly interchangeable with, and more powerful than DTML.

Am I totally off base? Is there some valuable reading that I have missed?
How do experienced ZOPErs view this issue?

Roy.