[Zope] Help!- locked out of my Zope

Thomas Guettler zopestoller@thomas-guettler.de
Fri, 01 Mar 2002 15:56:24 +0100

Dave Feasey wrote:

>Forgive me I'm a newbie- also not too up on UNIX or Apache (taking the
>Crash course here...)
>
>Have a virtual private server on FreeBSD behind Apache. Installed Zope,
>got it working with one of my virtual hosts, thanks to the docs. Was
>working in the VH and accidentally created a DTML method that called
>itself- infinite loop- and before I could stop that, BAM! The database
>gets wiped out back to the install version with nothing. I go into Undo
>(probably unwise move here, but I was upset) and try to back out of the
>install, thinking that somehow a new install got triggered. This was
>last Friday. since then I've tried everything I can to ./stop ./start,
>reinstall, uninstall, use zpasswd to change the access and inituser
>files, comment out LoadModule line for FastCGI, etc. Zope, some version
>is still running but I cannot log in- period.

Do you mean that it is still runing and can't stop it? Try:
ps aux | grep -i z2
#this should give you the process ID

#then kill it:
kill $PID
#or
kill -9 $PID

Now use zpasswd (Search with goole for an usage example)

start zope again

Do you get the message box from your browser where you should type in
your name and password?

>Read in an FAQ somewhere
>that, uh, now I can't remember what it told me to do, something about
>permissions. Then I saw something about both Zope and Apache needing
>permissions for PCGI, or at read / write on zope.soc with fastCGI.

Do you use PCGI or does Apache a redirect to the Zope http server?

HTH, thomas