[Zope] Re: RPMs on www.zope.org do NOT work on Redhat 7.2

Jeff Rush jrush@taupro.com
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 02:39:21 -0600

Hi Ron,

I hear this a lot, so here's my standard answer in hopes it helps.

Since you are running Zope behind Apache via PCGI, your inability to
log in is due to one of two cases:

1. you haven't correctly added URL rewrite rules to Apache, so that
   browser login authentication information is passed thru to Zope,

2. you're having a problem with the domain name restriction given in
   the file /var/zope/access.

#2 above is more common, so I'll presume you've followed all of the
Apache rewrite-rule instructions on my website.

To fix #2, look in /var/zope/access and see what the *third* parameter
is on the first line; "username:password:domain".  It comes by default
set to "localhost", for security reasons.  If you are trying to log into =
from
a different machine than the Zope server is on (you didn't say in your
msg), you must remove/change that domain restriction. =A0I suggest
removing it AND THE COLON before it. =A0Note that if you leave the
colon, Zope will only accept logins from (empty string) domains,
i.e. none.

Second problem people have is that they don't _have_ a name defined
on their boxes for "localhost" -- some (Red Hat 7.2 and up)
use "localhost.localdomain" instead. =A0If so, then removing the
domain restriction will fix you up.

Let me know if this helps and if not, I'll try further. =A0In that case
I'll need more details, logs etc.  I wish Zope would log a clue on
-why- a login failed -- invalid domain, no auth info from Apache,
bad password, etc. etc.  No such info is available though.

-Jeff