[Zope] mixing python and DTML is hellish!

kosh@aesaeion.com kosh@aesaeion.com
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 03:55:39 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Lennart Regebro wrote:

> From: <kosh@aesaeion.com>
> > If tags are not closed properly, used properly etc it won't work as well.
>
> Are you trying to tell me that this is achieved more easily by NOT using a
> wysiwyg editor that takes care of that for you, but instead hack the code
> manally in a text-editor?

Yes I think that is easier to do without a wysiwyg editor. Using vim or
emacs is easier then using one of those editors. The wysiwyg editors gets
in the way of being able to track all the code and the model mentally.

> > Also I don't like having to go back and do maintenance on a site very
> often so it
> > works better long term just to adhere exactly to the spec in a way that
> > works in all the browsers which is pretty easy.
>
> And that would be impossible to do with Dreamweaver?

I find it harder to do in those apps then just doing the work by hand. I
can just type out what I want and not worry about pointing and clicking on
various things. I can type a lot faster then I can move the mouse around
and click on things. Drag and drop interfaces are good for some things but
making source code is not one of them.

> Come on... Most people create the design with a wysiwyg editor because it's
> easier and it's faster, and none of the things you claim are common problems
> have anything to do with using a wysiwyg editor to make the design. You are
> clutching to straws in your argumentation.

It may be faster for the unskilled but it also produces worse pages.
However I find that if you have read the html, xhtml, css, dom, etc specs
and know them then it is faster to develop manually then using any of
those helpful editors. Overall I have not liked code generation tools for
any language since you spend more time cleaning up afterwards then it
would take to write the code by hand.