[Zope] DTML sux :-)

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Sat, 02 Mar 2002 15:39:09 +0000

kosh@aesaeion.com wrote:

> You can write bad python pretty easily

Now that I really do disagree with! What are you basing that statement on exactly?

> python. Many people have been encouraged to write bad DTML from lots of
> sources on zope.org. Even the zope book has had some pretty bad examples
> which does not help the issues.

Maybe the fact that so much bad stuff has been written in it says something about it?
Maybe you're a perl user too?

> Well I don't run a windows OS and do all my devel on linux.

Good for you :-)

> > It's gonna be supported longer, it was better designed for the task, etc. I could go on
> > but you won't believe me anyway and I'm close enough to RSI-land anyway...
>
> I doubt support for DTML can be pulled for a good while.

Re-read what I typed ;-) It won't ever be pulled, but it will slowly fade into disrepair
and no longer be used except by all the most die-hard fanatics like yourself...

> Talk to TheJester
> he has some very good arguments for why DTML needs to stay around.

Andy Milton has a lot of arguments. I wouldn't describe most of them as 'good'...

> I think ZPT was designed for a task of allowing web designers to work on
> stuff and insulate them from the code. The problem I see is that it took
> so long to get python script in zope. It encouraged people to put lots of
> logic in DTML since external methods are a pain by comparison. If examples
> where updated that seperatd the logic into python scripts and the
> presentation in DTML it would work well.

What has any of this to do with whether or not ZPT is a better choice for templating than
ZPT?

cheers,

Chris