[Zope] DTML sux :-)

kosh@aesaeion.com kosh@aesaeion.com
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 15:03:17 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Chris Withers wrote:

> kosh@aesaeion.com wrote:
> >
> > You can write bad python pretty easily
>
> Now that I really do disagree with! What are you basing that statement on exactly?

Are you telling me that you have not seen badly commented code? Cut and
paste code? Incorrect comment code? Heavy abuse of lambda, map, filter?
Almost all of those are done in every language and they all make bad code.
Python tries to encourage good code but it does not prevent you from
writing bad code.

> > python. Many people have been encouraged to write bad DTML from lots of
> > sources on zope.org. Even the zope book has had some pretty bad examples
> > which does not help the issues.
>
> Maybe the fact that so much bad stuff has been written in it says something about it?

Maybe a lot of bad things have been built by humans. Maybe that says
something about humans. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe it just says that any tool
that is powerful can be used to create problems and remove them depending
on the person using the tool.

> Maybe you're a perl user too?

Nope I have not written perl. I got to about hello world and decided I
didn't like it. I have mostly done C++ and python.

> > Well I don't run a windows OS and do all my devel on linux.
>
> Good for you :-)

Certainly cut down on that crash rate. :)

> > Talk to TheJester
> > he has some very good arguments for why DTML needs to stay around.
>
> Andy Milton has a lot of arguments. I wouldn't describe most of them as 'good'...

A fair number of them are pretty good but you seem so blinded by  the ZPT
is the perfect solution and DTML is bad you won't see them.