[Zope] mixing python and DTML is hellish!

kosh@aesaeion.com kosh@aesaeion.com
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 20:05:29 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Peter Bengtsson wrote:

> > > That was not what I meant.
> > > If a second developer three months later comes around to:
> > > <dtml-if something><dtml-var something></dtml-if>
> > > He's not gonna understand it.
> >
> >Well you did violate one of the rules of refactoring there. Look at rename
> >method page 273 of refactoring. In my case the code would be closer to.
> ><dtml-if customerContactForm><dtml-var customerContactForm></dtml-if>
> >
> >In this case you know what it is trying to do based on its name. It is a
> >poor carpenter who blames his hammer. ;)
>
> "if a SECOND DEVELOPER thress months later..."
> Personally I, this week, stumbled across what looked like this:
> <dtml-if v><dtml-var v></dtml-if>
>
> Not my fault, but my problem to solve. A hint would help.

Ick. Find the original writer and have that person keel hauled. Writing
unmaintainable code can be done in any language but that code looks like
what I have seen from CS grads which is worse then much I have seen.

Sorry but the CS dept here is not very good and I see lots of crap.
However that is pretty bad crap.