Dreamweaver - ANYTHING!- and SSL (Was RE: [Zope] Cut the Dreamweaver bashing ;-))

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Sun, 03 Mar 2002 17:24:49 +0000

--------------EEBF98C29D6A2E59B67A9AFB

Hi Paul :-)

Paul Browning wrote:

> We (i.e. the University of Bristol) are trying to decide about which
> authoring tool to support for use with Zope. We have a requirement
> that any tool must work securely - no passwords floating about in the
> clear.
>
> We have found this requirement to be to be severely limiting - Dreamweaver,
> GoLive et al just don't support https (good 'ol cadaver and vi have no
> such problems).
>
> So first question: is this assessment correct?

Well, yes and no. Yes, not many of the tools support SSL, most people aren't _that_
concerned about security. No, because it's easy to set up and ssh tunnel to do your work
over. Once that's in place, _any_ tool can work with SSL/SSH...

> We have had some success if we insert WebDrive into the equation - GoLive
> and even FrontPage (if you open via the File menu rather than a
> drag and drop) seem to then work fine over https, but NOT Dreamweaver.

I'd recommend using WebDrive somwhat differently. I use WebDrive over WebDAV into Zope.
Then I just edit the files as if they were local HTML using DreamWeaver. I don't use any
of the 'Site' shenanigans since I've never seen the need. (And I don't want to have to
'synch to server' every time I make a change...)

> In trying to understand the DW problem I tried making DW's local folder
> a Webdrive mounted Zope folder. As far as I can see DW insists on creating
> a .TMP file (to hold the edits of any original object) which then gets
> renamed on being saved - but then you loose the original ZPT object
> metatype.
>
> Second question: has anyone a working workaround for the DW problem? I
> think I can see how to attack it with PUT_factory but I don't have deep
> Zen in this department (or any other!).

PUT_factory is what you want, put the attached file in an external method and it'll do the
job nicely!

cheers,

Chris
--------------EEBF98C29D6A2E59B67A9AFB

from Products.PythonScripts.PythonScript import PythonScript

from Products.PageTemplates.ZopePageTemplate import ZopePageTemplate

from OFS.DTMLDocument import DTMLDocument

from OFS.Image import Image

from OFS.Image import File

def PUT_factory( self, name, typ, body ):

    # Gimme a PageTemplate or a PythonScript, but never DTML!

    if typ=='text/x-python' or (body and body[0]=='#'):

        ob = PythonScript( name )

    elif typ.startswith('text'):

        ob = ZopePageTemplate(name, body, content_type='text/html')

    elif typ.startswith('image/'):

        ob = Image(name, '', body, content_type=typ)

    else:

        ob = File(name, '', body, content_type=typ)

    return ob

--------------EEBF98C29D6A2E59B67A9AFB--