[Zope] mixing python and DTML is hellish!

Anthony Baxter Anthony Baxter <anthony@ekit-inc.com>
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:18:22 +1100

>>> Peter Bengtsson wrote
> Secondly, ZPT "code" tends to be a bit longer (in amount of characters) and
> Python advocates don't really like this.

I think it's safe to say that I'm a "python advocate" and I reject this
statement, utterly.

Clarity always wins over code size. If I cared about byte counts of
my code, I'd use perl and it's magic line noise encoding.

The key argument against DTML for me is that it is a slippery slippery
slope that leads to something horrible like PHP. I have a large web
application that's been under development for 3 years now (in Zope) and
it's full of crufty nasty DTML. Making the DTML go away is a key thing
that we are now working on.

Anthony
It's never to late to have a happy childhood.