[Zope] Barnes & Nobles Putting Zope Books in the wrong place! !!!!!

Mon, 04 Mar 2002 12:42:05 -0800

As much as it would be nice to have Zope books in both sections, I would
much prefer that bookstores bundle Zope books for discounted prices with
Paperback fiction bestsellers to increase the bredth of Zope's target
audience. ;)

Seriously, though, web apps or programming and development is where these
books should be first, and if they can end up on other sections or
aisle-end-tables, great...

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: James Johnson [mailto:james@tacomait.com]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 12:32 PM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] Barnes & Nobles Putting Zope Books in the wrong place!
!!!!!

I tend to agree, but sometimes mistakes work out to be blessings
in disguise. As a network professional it's been nearly impossible
to convince some other professionals the merits of Zope.
  Now as the original poster said. "The Web app section is huge"
The networking professional is overwhelmed with so many choices.
  I'm asking the community is that not sweet marketing?  I bet you
more professionals will look at the book if it's the only Web app
server in the networking section.  Let's not get lost in the sea of
"Web Application" marketing power-houses.
 While zope is an application server.   It can also be called a
networking system, because I can use it to connect people and
resources together.
 My main point is I don't think they have enough money at DC to
pay B&N for such exclusive placement.  If you can't find Zope in
any section you can always ask for help finding the right section.

  What we want are the people who never heard of Zope but maybe
"Web Application".

  If I had a choice it would be both sections, but if I had to choose it
would be the networking section.... Somebody wants it noticed!
  With this knowledge I think we stand an even better chance
targeting the network professional on the merits and usage of Zope.
Developers are important, but zope needs to make more headway
with networking professionals.  This might be the perfect time to
illustrate the main differences between Zope and other "Web App
Servers"  That's why its confusing and should belong in both
sections ;-)
Imho,
-James

p.s.

  I know at first it seems wrong to leave an Web application product
out of that section if you can't have both sections.  My thoughts are
that a developer will eventually find the software and tools needed
to get the job done.  The network pro may not ever look at the
same section. but if each and every network pro is exposed to
Zope when they are seeking knowledge in their profession, that is
power just in being able to hear one say "I've heard of it".  That's
exactly some of the things I've been dreaming of to happen.