[Zope] Barnes & Nobles Putting Zope Books in the wrong place! !!!!!

James Johnson james@tacomait.com
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:01:02 -0800

Many moons ago I aspired to be a network programmer someday.
What is a network programmer?  This much I can say, a network
programmer without Zope as part of their tool set is like a ...  You
get the picture I hope.

 Sometimes in life what <underline>should</underline> happen doesn't. I'mho we should'nt
B****&Complain, but we should do what inspires the greatest of
minds to do and that's to make something from nothing.

This is a testcase, our one chance to see and make a difference.  I
did'nt choose to use zope 2+ years ago because it was in the Web
app or programming section of the local bookstore.  I continue to
use Zope because of it's innovates features and community support
is pretty responsive.  I will say I  believe Zope is the industry
leading product, most people just don't know it yet.

  So I guess we will never get to implement any cool marketing
campaigns like "Zopes officially a Web app and network systems
tool,  Today major retailer dadada places Zope in network section
sparks a lyrical whipping/backlash from Zope community". But
that's ok.  Why would we want to buck the trend and be a trend-
setter, when the chance to "test the waters" is thrown at us?

  I'm not speaking for Digital Creations, but I am speaking from a
Tacoma Information Technology point of view.  I would like to see
DC run with this.

  I remember pointing out in a previous post a while back, how the
"CMF" was always a part of Zope and should not be a separate
product, so I'm not surprised to see it "becoming" part of Zope3,
because it never really left.  The response I received at the time
was something like developers rule!

  I had no problem with that.  How long are developers going to
rule?  Or should I say rule out. because here they go again.  They
see the tool as only theirs to which they can build applications.
The truth of the matter is the tool is an easier tool for network
administrators to administrator a network of users and resources
than to develop with Zope "Zen".

  So once again lets take the opportunity to open up the new
markets that was talked about earlier, because realistically you
can't achieve those kind of numbers with things like this happening.

  Ok I'll say it, Developers run ZarterTown. DEVELOPERS RUN
ZARTERTOWN. ;-)

  All in fun the developers truly are the unsung heroes who bring us
this first-rate software. But in the case of the Barnes and Noble
book placement I say let is ride for awhile and let's get what we
can from it.<underline>

I'mho,

</underline>-James