[Zope] DTML and XML

Harry Wilkinson harryw@nipltd.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 15:53:32 +0000

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 3:42 pm, Stephen Johnston wrote:
> Hi
>
> New to this stuff, can someone tell me the difference between XML and DTML
> (is that the same as DHTML)
>
> TIA
>
> S.

These are all very different and not really comparable in a simple (ie brief)
way.  I suggest you go to http://www.w3.org to read up on what XML and DHTML
are, and go to http://www.zope.org to find out about DTML.

There is also a good (better in my opinion) alternative to DTML for Zope now,
called ZPT.  This is XML-based and generally more structured and clean.  If
you're just starting out with Zope I strongly recommend you use as it will
(hopefully) prevent you from falling into any of the many possible problems
you can get into design-wise with DTML.  It's much harder to write bad code
(IMO) with ZPT.

Harry