[Zope] RE: [Zope-dev] Squid Proxy VS LVS+Apache+ZEO

Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:57:40 -0800

I would suggest moving this to zope@zope.org, which I've cc'd.

I would strongly suggest using Squid as an alternative to both Apache and
LVS and kill two birds with one stone here, allowing you to get caching and
load-balancing a ZEO cluster with one tool.

Squid will load-balance a cluster of ZEO clients by talking directly to
ZServer on each of those boxes.  With Toby Dickenson's ICP patch to Zope,
you can have ZServer handle ICP requests, which will allow your ZEO clients
to becomre part of the cache hierarchy for Squid.  This means that Squid
will truly load-balance your ZEO servers, in the same fashion LVS would...
Squid replaces Apache, mod_proxy, LVS, and provides caching too!

Personally, I'm of the opinion that every production install of Zope needs
ZEO, not just for performance, but also for the convenience factor.  You
absolutely need ZEO, though, if you have high-traffic, and low ability to
cache most of it (i.e. lots of dynamic content).

Also, if you need SSL, use Squid 2.5 with OpenSSL to accelerate all your
backend non-SSL servers, including ZServer, Apache, etc...

Oh, and if you need Apache for non-Zope stuff, Squid will proxy that too.

Sean