[Zope] Re: user accounts

jbr@FIZ-Karlsruhe.DE jbr@FIZ-Karlsruhe.DE
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 20:00:16 +0100 (MET)

Richard Hewison writes:

 >  Message: 5
 >  From: "Richard Hewison" <richard.hewison@luton.ac.uk>
 >  To: zope@zope.org
 >  Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:56:23 GMT
 >  Subject: [Zope] user accounts
 >
 >  This is a problem that has dogged us for ages, and this is probably
 >  the third time we've asked for help here. Basically, new users
 >  added to specific folders within Zope (via the acl_users folder)
 >  cannot login to the system. The only account that seems to work
 >  fine is the one for the 'admin' user.
 >
 >  The most annoying thing about this is that it *did* work when we
 >  first installed Zope, but somewhere down the line it stopped. This
 >  has happened on two different servers with two different operating
 >  systems (Sun SOlaris and now Linux) and two different versions of
 >  Zope (2.4.1 and 2.4.3).
 >
 >  It's a fairly serious problem if we want to use Zope to handle our
 >  main web site in the future. Anyone had this and solved it? Does
 >  v2.5 have this as well?

I am running zope 2.5.0 on Solaris (I had installed the binary version) using
ZServer. I am able to access the web management interface with
the initial user admin  created at installation time.

Later I had added a user "portal_manager", which could login without any problems.
About one week later I couldn't login with this user but could still login with user
admin.

Restarting ZServer solved the problem. This is not a problem for a test site,
but in a production environment we don't want to restart  ZServer each time a user
can't login.

Dieter Maurer  indicated this is due to some memory problems in older versions of
zope.

 >  Message: 46
 >  From: Dieter Maurer <dieter@handshake.de>
 >  Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:47:42 +0100
 >  To: "Richard Hewison" <richard.hewison@luton.ac.uk>
 >  Cc: zope@zope.org
 >  Subject: Re: [Zope] user accounts
 >
 >  Richard Hewison writes:
 >   > This is a problem that has dogged us for ages, and this is probably
 >   > the third time we've asked for help here. Basically, new users
 >   > added to specific folders within Zope (via the acl_users folder)
 >   > cannot login to the system. The only account that seems to work
 >   > fine is the one for the 'admin' user.
 >   >
 >   > The most annoying thing about this is that it *did* work when we
 >   > first installed Zope, but somewhere down the line it stopped. This
 >   > has happened on two different servers with two different operating
 >   > systems (Sun SOlaris and now Linux) and two different versions of
 >   > Zope (2.4.1 and 2.4.3).
 >   >
 >   > It's a fairly serious problem if we want to use Zope to handle our
 >   > main web site in the future. Anyone had this and solved it? Does
 >   > v2.5 have this as well?
 >  I saw recently something which might be similar:
 >
 >       All of a sudden, some "acl_users" objects went away.
 >
 >       Of course, login via these formerly existing user folders
 >       were no longer possible.
 >
 >       Restarting Zope solved the problem for some days. Then,
 >       the "acl_users" disappeared again.
 >
 >  Upgrading to Zope 2.5 *AND* Python 2.1.2 solved the problem...
 >  It was almost surely caused by the known memory corruption
 >  problems in Zope 2.4.x (with 1 <= x <= 3) and Python 2.1.1.
 >

 >  Dieter

But I am using zope 2.5.0 and this problem might still exist.

Is there a solution for this problem (without restarting Zserver) ?

With kind regards, Juergen Berger