[Zope] How to get "context" in an instance method

Paul Tiemann mrchumple@hotmail.com
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 18:22:10 -0700

This probably has a simple solution, but I'm probably going to have to sleep
on it to find it.  Thanks in advance for any help...

I have a class derived from ObjectManager and SimpleItem.Item which defines
a directory structure under it.  Something like this:

class MyZopeProduct( ObjectManager.ObjectManager, SimpleItem.Item )
    # ...
    def myFunc(self, context=None, REQUEST=None):
        doSomethingWithContext(context)

After I add an instance of MyZopeProduct to my root folder (as myinstance) I
can go
to http://me:8080/myinstance and things work as expected.  If there is a
folder inside my instance called 'folder' then I can also go to
http://me:8080/myinstance/folder and everything works fine.

What I can't figure out is how to go to
http://me:8080/myinstance/folder/myFunc and have the context (the folder
instance object) passed into my script.  I've been hunting through the
source for something similar but I can't find it.  It's probably something
simple, but I just can't seem to find how to get the context.  When I call
myFunc the REQUEST variable is inserted, but the context always comes back
as None.  All other Acquisition-related functionality seems to work for
"folder", like pulling 'index_html' out of the root because it doesn't have
one of its own (and neither does "myinstance")

I want to be able to use Acquisition within my Python Product code... Is it
possible?

Thanks in advance!
-Paul