[Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 13:50:28 -0500

>> Most people want to install a binary package these days (in practice
>> this means RPM). When you look at the downloads, you see that the latest
>> RPM is not the most recent Zope version. Oops! I thought, is this a
>> serious product? (Please note: this first impression is important)

I totally agree on this.  That was my first impression - it could be cool,
but I have to be a guru to install it.  And that the RPMs are so out of
date.

There's no reason for this - if the spec file is maintained, you could
automatically generate an rpm every time you tar up the release.  A good
spec file will also take care of dependencies, and defaults like pcgi or
whatever, and also do nice stuff like put a startup script in init.d or
whatever.