Zope 2.5.0 RPMS was Re: [Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?

Adam Manock abmanock@earthlink.net
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 15:55:29 -0500

The good news:

In the spirit of scratching your own itch, I have built an RPM set for Zope
2.5.0 that "works on my machine" :-)
I based the spec on the 2.4.3 spec, but I stick much closer to the default
install than the previous RPMS, effectively wrapping up a wo_pcgi build and
packaging that with a /var/zope instance home. The RPMS also take care of
logging stuff, startup scripts etc for you. PCGI is not supported, but you
should be proxying to multi-threaded zserver using squid or apache if
you're running Zope on linux anyway, (i.e. who cares). The spec should no
longer be such a P.I.T.A. to update to the next Zope version, 'cause the
RPM build simply executes a wo_pcgi build for you instead of individually
compiling all the C extensions. The rpms require python 2.1.2

The bad news:
The install sticks much closer to the default install than previously,
effectively undoing a lot of the good restructuring work done in earlier
RPM releases. The "throw everything in either /usr/share/zope or /var/zope"
install is definitely not pretty (or FHS compliant). There is no "make
install" equivalent functionality that puts stuff where it should be, IMHO
this should be done by wo_pcgi, or distutils anyway, not by a monster 1000+
line spec.
The extra files that used to be included, and the extra packages that used
to get built, are gone. It's just the bare essentials. You get a Zope and
Zope-zserver package, with only one doc included, the readme, (which is out
of date)
The rpms have only been tested on RedHat 7.2.
After install, rpm -V will complain about a missing inituser file (zope
deletes it after loading the user into the ZODB)

One more thing, I'm not using these RPMS in production yet, and you
probably shouldn't be either ;-)

So here's the deal:

If, after reading the above, anyone wants the source RPM, wants to work on
it, make the w_pcgi build work with RPM, clean it up, host it, or install
it (if you wanna be a tester), I'd be happy to email  / upload to you the
~2Mb .src.rpm file. I can also tar up the spec and other files w/out the
src tarball included for those who cannot receive a ~2Mb attachment.

Adam