[Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?

Joel Burton joel@joelburton.com
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:27:45 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Oliver Bleutgen wrote:

> Joel Burton wrote:
> >
> > But, seriously, I'm curious: do you think that you're getting better
> > security w/someone's ./configure && make && make install setup (also run
> > as root, can also execute anything you want and might unless you read the
> > configure file and make file and source code)?
> >
> No, but I for one think I get better stability.
> Quite now I expiriencing segmentation faults on a server which has been
> updated with new php rpms from the distribution vendor, without any
> conflicts, and the apache process segfaults everytime php wants to write
> to a mysql database.
>
> SRPMS, that perhaps would be another case ....

I see. Non-maintainers always forget about SRPMS. Distributing it gives
many of the advantages of the RPM, but you can compile for your site.

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant