[Zope] Easy DTML way for layout.

Jordan Katz katz@underlevel.net
09 Mar 2002 01:27:57 -0500

Hello,

  I ran into a problem with Zope.  I'd like to use it to create a
  consistent layout for a midsize webpage.  The layout is very simple;
  I'd like Zope to insert the same header, body and footer for all
  pages with minor color differences that can be handled by CSS.  The
  header will contain a tool bar--for example, a simple table with
  links in it.  Then my standard_html_footer or whatever I choose my
  DTML footer tag to be will look like this:

    <dtml-var css-code>
    <dtml-var toolbar-code>

  This is where I have a difficulty; what if I want my toolbar to have
  a minor difference from every page?  For example, what if when page
  1 is visited, I'd like the page 1 link to be in bold?  I could make
  a ton of different dtml-vars for each part of the toolbar but that
  would take a ridiculous amount of time, if it works at all, and
  defeat the whole purpose of using Zope for the easier layout.  I'm
  sure there's a "standard" solution to this--how can I achieve such
  easy consistent layout in Zope?

Thanks a lot,
--
Jordan Katz <katz@underlevel.net>  |  Mind the gap