So what will we do? (was [Zope] What causes the community to stall so often?)

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 13:19:22 +0100

Doyon, Jean-Francois writes:
 > Lately I find myself spending a fair amoutn of time decipehring Zope code to
 > find the functions I want for insatnce, where they come from, whether they'r
 > einherited, etc ...
Do you know "DocFinder". It will help you with precisely these questions:

  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope>

 > The object oriented concept is great for programming, but
 > not for documenting, since it "fragments" things too much I think.
I, personnaly, would not agree with you. It is as good for programming
as for the documentation. But, in both worlds, it forces to think
in a more abstract way than other approaches. Once you understood
the components of a system (such as the classes), there is no need
to document them in each use instance. But, of course, you
need this understanding in order to be able to understand the instance
when it does not repeat the components concepts and purposes.
Getting this understanding is on a more abstract level then
understand a specific use instance.

I would be interested to hear what you think of

  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope/book/chap3.html>

Dieter