[Zope] Re: What causes the community to stall so often?

Tim Owen timowen@voyager.net
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 04:52:28 -0500

Been following the "state of documentation" thread and I just have to note
the irony about a content management system struggling with content
management.

I do tend to agree that there is a general lack of coordination, editing,
verification/review for all the content, but not a general lack of content.
At the same time, I understand the "we're not going to do the search for you
so go search Google" and the "read The Zope Book" reaction as well.  If
increased community participation is desired, then some slack must be given
before new folks get the "cold water in the face" routine by the hard core
community members.

Couple of specific requests/suggestions to add to the mix:

1. How about a glossary of terms that get linked to various HOWTOs, wikis,
etc.
2. Include appropriate Python, MySQL, Postgres, etc. documentation
cross-references.
3. Develop some kind of structure to the various types of documentation (to
provide cross referencing, understanding how current, what version(s) is
applies to, etc.).
4. Develop a peer review and reward system (Joel's suggestion extended) that
provides recognition which may lead to paid work.
5. Develop an overall structure to the "master" documentation and solicit
content owners/maintainers (subject to peer review of course).  Books,
member areas, etc. can still be used to augment the master documentation.
6. Good examples are key to understanding concepts I think, so require them
to post.

I think Joel Burton, Jean-Francois Doyon, etc. both have very good points on
how to go about improving the situation.  I would be willing to volunteer
some time to help search, review, catalog, comment on, etc. from a novice
perspective.  It would also be nice to see a dedicated (at least part-time)
resource from ZC to keep us honest as well.  Anyone out there a professional
information architect to help get us moving in the right direction (see
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565922824/ref=ase_louisrosenfel-20/1
04-8373055-5213557 for a good book on the subject - disclaimer: I know Lou
Rosenfeld)?

As for the related issue on difficulty installing, building, configuring,
etc. on various platforms, I would suggest separating this from the
documentation topic (although it should be well documented too).

Regards.

Tim Owen