Quality vs. Quantity (Was: Re: RTFM? IWMITWAFM! (Was: Re: [Zope] WebDAV, Zope, M$ and implications...))

Richard Shebora rlist@apogee-tech.com
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:26:12 -0500

  Dieter Maurer wrote:

>Howard Hansen writes:
> > I would suggest that you try answering half of the total number of
> > questions, but answer them as fully as you can, assuming that the user knows
> > essentially nothing.  Pepper those answers with links, explanations, and
> > philosophical asides.  Make it a mini-howto and a seminar on advanced topics
> > in Zope.  And be sure to spend exactly the same amount of time, don't add to
> > your burden.
>I suggest a different solution:
>
>  I continue to give terse advice and the people with the actual
>  problems write the HowTos after they solved the problems....
>

>Dieter

This sounds like the best solution.

I would only suggest that many of us do not know how to present the
answers in a proper HowTo.  If a form, or formletter, or template exists
as a guideline, I and others would be more likely to make that leap.

List reply's are a little like public speaking.  It can be intimidating
to offer help back to a list that is in many ways far above our own
heads.  We feel unworthy and silly for trying.  Human nature is not
always mature or correct, but it does tend to take over.

Thanks,
Richard