[Zope] Re: Quality vs. Quantity (Was: Re: RTFM? IWMITWAFM! (Was: Re: [Zope] WebDAV, Zope, M$ and implications...))

Joel Burton joel@joelburton.com
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 22:56:07 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, Richard Shebora wrote:

>   Dieter Maurer wrote:
>
> >Howard Hansen writes:
> > > I would suggest that you try answering half of the total number of
> > > questions, but answer them as fully as you can, assuming that the user knows
> > > essentially nothing.  Pepper those answers with links, explanations, and
> > > philosophical asides.  Make it a mini-howto and a seminar on advanced topics
> > > in Zope.  And be sure to spend exactly the same amount of time, don't add to
> > > your burden.
> >I suggest a different solution:
> >
> >  I continue to give terse advice and the people with the actual
> >  problems write the HowTos after they solved the problems....
> >

> >Dieter

> This sounds like the best solution.
>
> I would only suggest that many of us do not know how to present the
> answers in a proper HowTo.  If a form, or formletter, or template exists
> as a guideline, I and others would be more likely to make that leap.
>
> List reply's are a little like public speaking.  It can be intimidating
> to offer help back to a list that is in many ways far above our own
> heads.  We feel unworthy and silly for trying.  Human nature is not
> always mature or correct, but it does tend to take over.

Don't know about a template per se -- thought there is a HOWTO product on
Zope.org that lets you quickly write your HOWTO as structured text.

Some of my work is technical editing. I'd be happy to help anyone take
a half-finished HOWTO or article and clarify, polish it, and contribute
it. I expect that others would be willing to do the same, or to fact-check
it against their Zope installs, or things like that.

--

Joel BURTON  |  joel@joelburton.com  |  joelburton.com  |  aim: wjoelburton
Independent Knowledge Management Consultant