[Zope] Mini-HOWTO: Zope + MySQL under Windows

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:29:23 -0500

[Derek Simkowiak]

> -> [if you don't have a C compiler:]
>
> This was my predicament.  I haven't installed Cygwin on this
> laptop.
>

> -> [5]. Try to install MySQL-python (filename
"MySQL-python-0.9.1.win32-py2.1.exe")
> -> [6]. Copy the MySQL-python files from your Python 2.1.2 installation
> -> into your Zope installation's lib\python.
> -> [7]. Start Zope.

At this point you ought  to be able to remove the extra Python installation
from your computer, if you really don't want it.

It seems to me that there should be one registry setting which you could
change or add, that would let the MySQL-python  installer know to use Python
installation in  Zope .  I'll bet it's the key named

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Python\PythonCore\2.1\InstallPath

If you create this key and give it the string value of the path to the
directory your Zope python.exe is in, I bet everything will install fine.
Then you wouldn't need to fuss around with an extra Python installation at
all.

Cheers,

Tom P