[Zope] Re: Mini-HOWTO: Zope + MySQL under Windows

Andy McKay andy@agmweb.ca
Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:02:56 -0800

> > (*) You need a Windows program that can handle tarballs, as
> > ZMySQLDA, like most Zope "Products", is not distributed as a .zip file

Most Zope products are tarballs, due to the *nix centric community. But last
time I checked winzip, power archiver etc all did tar balls.

> > 6. Try to install MySQL-python (filename
"MySQL-python-0.9.1.win32-py2.1.exe")
> > (*) This will fail, because the Windows installer program will
> > only unpack the files if it can find a "Python Installation" directory
> > unpack it into.  There is no way to specify your Zope Python install as
it
> > will only let you choose a Python install that is finds in the registry
(I
> > *think*).  I.e., you fscking NEED Python to get access to the files.  A
> > .zip file was not available for download.

Yep, but this is a fault of most python installers and a bit the Zope
installer. I would fully recommend installing your own python such as
ActivePython with the win32 extension built in and then you are done.

> > 7. Download and install the win32 Python 2.1.2 (to match your Zope
2.5.0's
> > Python)

You're right thought it aint straightforward.
--
  Andy McKay