[Zope] ftp and virtual hosting question

Richard Barrett R.Barrett@ftel.co.uk
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:09:03 +0000

At 10:21 12/03/2002 -0500, Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Richard Barrett wrote:
>
> > The problem is that I do not think that Apache can handle converting
> > between the protocols in this way, dealing with the different reponses
> > involved etc. In a brief experiment with my Apache (version 1.3.14) the
> > Apache child process crashes when I just try rewriting an incoming HTTP
> URL
> > to an outgoing FTP URL with a RewriteRule; you may have a better
> experience
> > if you try it.
> >

>Actually, I wasn't expecting Apache to proxy ftp requests.  I didn't know
>if there was a way for a Zope user to ftp into his "home" directory.

I confused myself when I read your original post:

At 18:36 11/03/2002 -0500, Jiann-Ming Su wrote:
>I've configured virtual hosting with zope and apache per
>http://www.zope.org/Members/anser/apache_zserver. How do I configure zope
>so that users for each virtual host ftp right into the virtual host folder?
>Thanks for any tips.
>
>That is, if I have an acl_uers/ folder in /VirtualHost/Host1, how do I
>get a defined user for Host1 to ftp directly into /VirtualHost/Host1?

I'm still trying to interpret what you are asking so bear with me.

Are you asking whether standard Zope can accept an FTP login and, depending
on the user ID  presented, automatically do an FTP cd to the user's "home"
folder, having determined where that is by computation from which acl_user
folder their user ID is defined in?

If so, I think the answer is probably no. Well, I cannot see a way of
getting the Zope FTP server to behave that way without changing its source
code.