[Zope] Re: What causes the community to stall so often?

Ot Ratsaphong ot.ratsaphong@tpg.com.au
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:35:07 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Wilkinson" <harryw@nipltd.com>
To: "Terry Hancock" <hancock@anansispaceworks.com>; <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 1:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Re: What causes the community to stall so often?

> ZPT + Python = goodbye and good riddance to dtml, for me at least.  Now
the
> only DTML I write (except maintenence of old code) is in file system ZSQL
> methods, where there is really no alternative (AFAIK).

I must agree with Harry on this point. When ZPT first appeared, I found it
difficult to wrap my head around it. DTML did everything I needed. Why learn
another language? But when I started to play with CMF/Plone, I needed to
learn ZPT and decided to give myself time to find out how it really worked.
Reading the ZPT chapters in Zope Book 2.5 really helped me get an
understanding of how it all works. Now I think ZPT + Python is a much better
way to build applications than with dtml.

Ot