[Zope] newbie question - one page per DB record

Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:14:05 -0800

Since your data is in XML, and supposing you know DOM, this sounds like it
might be suitable to stick into a ParsedXML document in a folder in Zope,
and then create Python Scripts that do the various pieces of lookup for you
from the XML.  You then could write a generic set of templates in DTML or
Page Templates that would use these Python scripts to render individual
product pages, including links to the next product, etc, provided each
product listed in your XML had some sort of unique id...  If you know DOM,
this approach should be pretty easy, and it keeps your data tier, logic
tier, and presentation separate...

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl [mailto:H.vanderLinden@MI.unimaas.nl]
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 2:53 PM
To: zope@zope.org
Subject: [Zope] newbie question - one page per DB record

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Zope (started two weeks ago), so if you can point me to URLs
where the following is discussed, I'd be very happy.

currently I have a set of product descriptions, one per HTML page, and an
"overview" with a list of links to each of the pages. Every page has a
navigation link to its predecessor and its successor. I also link to a
specific page from other pages (e.g. product1.html).
I currently do this by putting all the product info in an XML file to which
I apply an XSL file that produces the various HTML files.

If I put the products in a database in Zope (Gadfly would do since there are
not too many products), what should I do to get to the same results? I.e.
each page can be linked to individually from a non-Zope page and each page
has a navigation link to the previous and next products.

Thanks for helping.

Bye, Helma