[Zope] is it possible that packing the data.fs can slow down performance?

Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:39:05 +0000

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:52:45 +0100, "Lennart Regebro"
<lennart@torped.se> wrote:

>> Just to be clear, are you saying that *while* packing, zope will slow =
down
>> (which is what I think you are saying) or that subsequent to packing, =
zope
>> will stay slowed down (which is what I think Thomas is saying)?  I =
don't
>see
>> why the latter would be true.

Zope writes the packed data into a new file, renames the original file
to Data.fs.old, and renames the new packed file to Data.fs.

The question is: what can make one new file slower than an old one in
the same directory? I guess there are lots of system-dependant things;
fragmentation, or moving over to a slower disk if this filesystem is
on LVM.=20

Alternatively, packing is quite memory intensive. Its possible that
packing could leave your zope process with fragmented memory. Try
restarting the zope server.

>It will be slower until the object cache has been filled up again, =
right?

No. Everything else, including the object cache, is unaffected by
packing.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com