[Zope] Forbidden Variable Names

Roger Erens rerens@dela.org
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:49:27 +0100

Hi Bing,

> Dear all:
>
> A bug in Z SQL method wasted my whole precious morning! Write

That's what bugs are supposed to do, if not wasting whole precious days!

> replaced argument name "client" to "clientname" , then
> everything is fine.
>
> Woo, but WHY???? what's inside this? I didn't read this at
> anywhere. Is
> there still more like this ahead?

Apparently "client" is something like a reserved variable/keyword, and you'd
better not use these words for your own variables. Same case for "id" and
probably many more variable names.

It would be nice indeed to have a list somewhere on zope.org or in the book
with 'forbidden variable names'. (Debugger: Aiieeee! "client" is an FVN!)

Enjoy the remaining of your afternoon,

Roger