[Zope] Maybe non-Zope issue: SQL Server doesn't return table field completely

Jon Erickson jon.erickson@neicoltech.org
01 May 2002 09:24:25 -0500

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 08:50, Dirk Van.Laanen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a table with a field 'term' which is a text field, thus up to
255 characters.
> The table was originally an Access database. For reasons of company
policy,
> this database has been transported to an SQL Server 6.5 database. The
old
> Access database, however, still exists, on the same server als SQL
Server.

> If I make a Z ODBC database connection to SQL Server, and perform a
ZSQL
> query on the field 'term', only about 120 characters of the field
'term' are represented.
> If I use the Z ODBC database connection to the Access Database (with
exactly the same
> data), I get the complete field returned after a query.
>
> Does this ring a bell with anybody? Is it just an issue with SQL
Server or does Zope
> maybe play a part in it?

Do you have physical access to the SQL Server?  If so, run one of the
SQL Server native utilities to browse the table and verify the integrity
of the "term" field.  IIRC, for SQL Server 6.5 you could use the
"Enterprise Manager" or a utility named "isqlw" to query a database.
Most likely the field was somehow truncated during the transfer.

Jon