[Zope] SQL to Excel Redux

Bruce Dykes Bruce Dykes" <bkd@graphnet.com
Thu, 9 May 2002 08:05:51 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@mitretek.org>
To: <zope@zope.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 10:58
Subject: Re: [Zope] SQL to Excel Redux

> In the test tab for the database connection, type
>
> select * from [table$]
>
> (use the worksheet name instead of "table", and make sure to end with the
> "$").  Then see what column names are displayed.  Then write a query using
> them.  You may have to insert a header row with column names in the
> spreadsheet, I'm not sure about that.

That's what I started working from...but between my personal entropy field,
and several DTML unfriendly column names, it didn't exactly work as hoped.

So I'll make a determination as to whether a Zope address book product may
be more useful for this task.

> > And as a more general question, in the ODBC connector docs, it says that
> not
> > all databases support browsing...what is the specific limitation? I've
> been
> > able to browse both Access and FoxPro databases, and I find it an
> invaluable
> > tool. The Excels spreadsheet is the first thing that's ever come up
blank
> > for me, and that's kind of an odd duck anyway...
> >

> I don't know what you mean by "browsing" here.  But I tried, as you know,
> the select * from [table$] and it worked as expected.   So you should be
> able to see the data as for any other database.

Using the 'Browse' tab on the ODBC Connector page. With an actual database,
the Browse tab will let you see the database schema for all the constituent
tables of the database...most useful for SQL creation....

bkd