[Zope] [ANN] TextIndexNG 1.0 alpha 2 released

Milos Prudek milos.prudek@tiscali.cz
Mon, 13 May 2002 09:51:46 +0200

Andreas Jung wrote:
> Milos,
>
> because the limitation was an issue of the QueryParser module
> (using flex/yacc) I have rewritten the parser as native Python module.
> This new parser has the advantage that it will run on all platforms
> and accepts *any* encoding based on your locale settings. And it will
> accept unicode strings (but they are currently not very well handled
> inside TXNG). Hope, this makes TXNG attractive for you.

Great news! It definitely does. There's something that perhaps is a
problem. It's this:

Althouth ISO-8859-2 is an international standard for many East European
languages (such as Czech and Slovak), 95% of pages published on the
World Wide Web are in Win-1250 encoding. Even Linux servers publish web
pages in Win-1250  [but have ISO-8859-2 or even ISO-8859-1 locale set]
because older Microsoft browsers cannot display ISO-8859-2 encoding.
However, Mozilla and other browsers on Linux can display Win-1250 (even
if the client host is set to ISO-8859-2), even in web forms.

Since TXNG relies on locale setting, that would mean that Linux (server)
locale must be set to Win-1250. I'm not sure whether it is possible to
set Linux locale to Win-1250, and even if it was possible it could bring
other problems.

Do you think that this is an issue for TXNG, or that people should
switch to more recent MSIE browsers?

Thank you for your time!

--
Milos Prudek