[Zope] Defensive Zope Development

John Schinnerer johnschinnerer@yahoo.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 00:03:11 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> So what is the preferred/recommended best practice for Zope
> development?

I am basically doing this, and it works OK for me thus far:

> 2. Create a second Zope instance, perhaps on my local drive (Win2K)
> and only upload revised objects after proving them locally?

Specifically, I run zope @ localhost on my Win98 box, dev and basic
testing there, then xfer to the 'live' hosting system (Debian linux box
- so implicit x-platform testing...that's how I found the python date
issue on Win vs. linux I was asking about recently... ;-).  Also means
I don't have to be on the net (dialup, => slow and no phone) to dev,
since it's all on localhost.

If I make a few quick changes, I'll track them *very* carefully and
just upload the few things touched.  If I'm making *at all* more than
just a very few simple changes/additions, and touching lots of stuff, I
do a full site export/import - greatly reduces the risk of getting dev
and host instances out of synch.  I document site version numbers and
changes made in plain text files for each site.

I dev multiple sites as though they were each a 'root' under a single
instance of zope, using a VHM and separate 'virtual root' folders for
each site.  I use the handy edit tab on the VHM to point
http://localhost:8080/ to whatever 'root' site folder I'm currently
working on.

cheers,
John S.