[Zope] Possible OT: sudden Netscape problems with adding objects? enctype?

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Fri, 17 May 2002 12:12:23 -0400

[A M Thomas]

> Well, I finally uninstalled both Netscape 3.04 and 4.5 (this was on
> Windows) and re-installed them.  They share a common bookmark file.  I
> had no trouble setting up 4.5, but when I tried to open my bookmark file
> in Navigator 3.04, the browser crashed.  Several times.
>
> The bookmark file was around 164K.  I manually deleted some entries from
> it, got the size to around 162K (this is very approximate and based on
> the numbers in windows Explorer) and it was able to import it then.
>
> So, you're wondering what this has to do with anything.  Well, I can now
> use those special enctype forms just fine, in both browsers.  I didn't
> test it before cleaning up and importing my bookmark file, but it
> definitely works now.  I only deleted one or two entries from the
> bookmark file, which has grown by a bunch lately.  I'm guessing that, at
> least in Netscape 3, maybe the entire bookmark file was being held in
> memory, which somehow interfered with the creation of the temporary
> files Netscape seems to use for those forms with the
> enctype="multipart/form-data".
>
> So, if anyone has this problem in the future, I'd suggest 1) deleting
> entries from your bookmark file, and 2) reinstalling the browser.

Nice work.  That wasn't my problem, though, because my bookmark files in
Netscape are tiny - I only use those browsers for testing.  But who would've
thunk it!

Cheers,

Tom P