[Zope] Using Future Learning Enviroment with Apache and VirtualHostMonster

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Sun, 19 May 2002 22:40:10 +0300

Hi all,

I just spent a couple of hours banging my head to the wall since I
have Future Learning Enviroment running in Zope on one box by it self
and on other box behinf Apache. When running Apache the character
encodings did not work, even though on every page caharcter encoding
is said to be utf-8 with meta-tag. Everything worked when Zope was
running by it self.

The reason was Apache and it's behavior in AddDefaultCharset to set
default encoding to ISO-8859-1 if nothing else is set, and it also
overwrites whatever is set in the html-head-section.

The answer was to set in the VirtualHost-section AddDefaultCharset
Off, which then allowed browser to take the encoding directive from
the html-page.

This is very elementary, but first time that I had to work with these
encodings and therefor the Apache's behavior came as news to me.
Perhaps a word or two could be put about this to the installation
document and/or README file on FLE?

-huima