[Zope] help before I have to dump zope

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Mon, 20 May 2002 14:58:43 -0400

On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 02:21:15PM -0400, Pierce, Scott wrote:
> It wasn't a threat.  You will note I stated, 'have to'.  Trust me.  After 6
> weeks of developement to be 2 weeks from launch and discover a major problem
> with software foundational to the project brings out urgency as I am not
> personnally excited about having to move away from Zope.  If I can't resolve
> the issue I will have no choice but to go to WebWare so that I can at least
> reuse some of the code.  I didn't state it as a threat, it was not intended
> as a threat and if that was what was inferred I am not contrite.  The
> subject was to show urgency as my previous emails on the subject went
> without notice or response.
>
> Someone at DC informed me that 2.4 is supposed to resolve the issue so I
> will have to try that.

While I have considerable sympathy for your problem, I am running a
mixed 2.5 / 2.3 site myself ( Its funny how in writing code for
2+ years, parts of it become obsolete) -- in another way I have
considerable trouble with both tone and strategy.

One of the responsibilities of any user of any open-source project is to
evaluate suitability to task.  If the software is not suitable, it is
your job to determine if the current version has the bug, and if so,
to file a bug report against the current version, to produce
patches that correct the problem, or to contract with someone to fix it
for you.  You appear to have done none of the above.

I question why anyone would undertake a new short-term development
against 2.3.  While I can understand wanting to hold a bit on 2.5,
which has been out "only" since 28 Jan 2002, 2.3.3 is eleven months old,
and a lot has been changed.

Further, I wonder why you don't look at the change logs.  ZC is quite good
at saying what has changed from release to release.  All releases, and
all of their change logs are on line at zope.org, so it is not exactly
like you have to go out of your way to determine if a a version is
"supposed to resolve the issue".

>From the 2.4.0 changelog:

  The 'Authenticated' role has been added as one of Zope's
  standard roles.  A user's possession of this role indicates
  that he or she has been authenticated by the Zope security
  machinery.  It is an implicit role, and cannot be provided to
  users within the user management screens or the local roles
  management screens.  It is provided to all authenticated
  users.  Another way to think of the 'Authenticated' role is
  that it is possessed by all users *except* the Anonymous User.

All that said, skip 2.4; use 2.5.1, it is both more stable and more
capable, in my experience.

Jim Penny