[Zope] Seperate Development ...

dman dman@dman.ddts.net
Tue, 21 May 2002 08:40:11 -0500

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:08:47AM -0400, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
| incomplete records that did not get flushed to the file system on the=20
| source side and on the target size you would be pulling an existing Data.=
fs=20
| out from under a running server and replace it with something new. i have=
=20
| seen whole Data.fs getting truncated to zero content that way.

Have you seen this on windows?  Does zope open and close the Data.fs
frequently?  The reason I ask is because windows has a crappy way of
keeping track of open files.  It uses the name, and thus disallows any
modification of an open file.  That's one reason it is so reboot-happy
and why you shouldn't have programs running when you run an installer.
(for an example scenario, try running 'bash.exe' and upgrading
libcygwin1.dll)  The effect is that, if zope keeps Data.fs open, then
you have to stop zope anyways to do anything to the file.

-D

--=20

For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build
nuclear power plants that only _look_ like they would keep all the
radiation inside.
    (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)
=20

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8