[Zope] Java Applet?? - File compression and upload

Dennis Allison allison@sumeru.stanford.EDU
Thu, 23 May 2002 10:14:26 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 23 May 2002, chpeer2002 wrote:

> problem:
> Client side: 5 files should be found automatically, then be displayed
> in order to be accepted by the user, then they should be compressed
> to a gz-File and afterwards uploaded to a server.
>
> 1)Does it make sense to use a Java Applet?
> 2)Java Applets and DTML?
> 3)Could you describe me a way how to solve this problem?

Seems to me the simplest solution to your problem would be to delegate it
to an external procedure and ftp. The compression may be a problem unless
the ftp agent at the target site has ftp's compression extension.  And, of
course, you'll have to work through the protections, password, and access
rights issues on the target.
-dra