[Zope] Strange pdf problem

H.de.Wit@SFK.NL H.de.Wit@SFK.NL
Fri, 24 May 2002 11:30:32 +0200

>Open the PDF from a local copy into full Acrobat.
>Save As a .PS file with a different name.
>Double-click the .PS file to have Acrobat distill it to a new PDF (often
much

There is another solution:
Sometimes the adobe pluggin doesn't work properly with your browser.
The solution then is to disable the browser integration of the adobe pdf
reader.
Clicking a pdf file gives you a new acrobat reader window with the
requested pdf file

To do that, open the acrobat reader
You'll find somewhere in the edit>options an option with the browser
integration.
Disable it, and there you go.

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Hans de Wit
Stichting Farmaceutische Kengetallen
Postbus 30460
2500 GL  DEN HAAG
Tel. 070-3737448
Fax 070-3737445

                      "Arian de Wit"
                      <a.dewit@niwa.cr         To:      Zope@zope.org
                      i.nz>                    cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: RE: [Zope] Strange pdf problem
                      zope-admin@zope.
                      org

                      23-05-02 23:53

Hi All,

> We have a pdf file in our [Zope] database, and there's a problem with
> displaying it.

> Some PDFs work others don't.  On my machine with only Adobe Acrobat
> Reader, I get the blank screen.  On one of my colleagues with the full
> Adobe installation, we don't get the problem.

We have found a workaround for this problem, as follows:

Open the PDF from a local copy into full Acrobat.
Save As a .PS file with a different name.
Double-click the .PS file to have Acrobat distill it to a new PDF (often
much
smaller, like 4MB down to 300KB!)
Upload the new PDF into Zope and test. (FYI, we often use ExternalFile for
large PDFs to prevent bloating the ZOD, but not always. In doing so, the
object's "behave like" property needs to be set to "Image".)

This worked for us on the few problem PDFs we've had so far -- YMMV.

Cheers,

Arian

Arian de Wit
Information Systems Integration Manager
NIWA (National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research)
Gate 10 Silverdale Road, Box 11-115, Hamilton, New Zealand 2001
Phone (+64) 7-856 1769
Fax (+64) 7-856 0151
Web http://www.niwa.co.nz