[Zope] Arguments for choosing Zope

nitin@borwankar.com nitin@borwankar.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 11:47:57 -0700

Database integration with ZSQLMethods especially transparent
sql-quoting, ability to test SQL queries, ability to auto-generate
default search forms, ability to browse large results-sets of data, via
batch-processing capability of  the <dtml-in> tag, will save you hours
of design/development/debugging time.
Python's ability to handle result sets as sequences and its ease-of-use
is also a powerful added toolkit "feature".

My use of Zope has mainly been in database driven sites and far less in
CMS.  I have also been involved with projects using PHP/MySQL, as well
as Java/JDBC/Servlets and Java/JDBC/EJB's.  For the kind of application
you are describing, Zope wins by a large margin.
There are a couple of  quirks in DTML methods interfacing to ZSQL
methods, that you need to be aware of and look for answers in the
HOW-TO's and the Zope Book.

Another very good reason to use Zope is the excellent support from the
community on this list.

On the PHP/MySQL side there appear to be a couple of published books on
building database applications.
But there are no in-depth Zope books focusing only on database
integration.  This could also be because Zope does make a lot of it
easy.

Nitin Borwankar