[Zope] Multithreading issue - python, zope, opensbd, et al

Graham King Graham.King@team.ozemail.com.au
Thu, 30 May 2002 11:19:43 +1000

Hi all,

Have scanned lots of places to find a clear answer, so as a last resort, am
asking the group....

First assumption - if multithreading was enabled, we would see a number of
python/zope tasks running (ps, top, etc) when numerous simultaneous requests
come in... right? (as we do with apache - lots of httpd processes).

We are using python/zope on both Solaris and openBSD, and in looking at the
detail log of Python configure on either, I see compile and then loader
failures (different details for each OS though). Meanwhile the python build
process goes merrily along and creates a python evironment, unbeknown to us
at the time. (yes I know one shouls scour the logs, but time is always an
issue...).

So with openBSD, there seems a requirement for both pthread.h (found) and
thread.h (not found). I assume with these that if they wre both found we
might expect multithreading to work.

I've also noted in passing:
	- similar problems have arisen with MySQL/Python environments...
	- something about locking in python that might prevent
multithreading anyway (maybe a red herring).

Versions in use:

openBSD 3.0, 3.1, Solaris 8
python 2.1.3
Zope 2.5.0, 2.5.1

I note that for openBSD 3.0 there is a thread package for python 2.1.1 but I
assume that the crash issues with Zope from a few months ago preclude me
from using this.

Any advice gratefully accepted - like many people I don't know everything.
:)

cheers
Graham