[Zope] Data.fs falls into 33GB hole

Howard Hansen howardahansen@yahoo.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:40:03 -0800 (PST)

Well, I've got 128GB of RAM on the server, so it
wouldn't matter.

Joking!

It worked just fine.  I watched the start of the
process on top.  It ate less CPU than I expected and
didn't appreciably affect RAM usage.  So, from
empirical evidence, I'd say that if packing uses RAM
in proportion to the db size, it's only a few KB/GB.

YMMV, though.  My Data.fs was filled with an N-square
bunch of transactions each superceding its
predecessor.  It had a very low signal/noise ratio.  I
don't know how it would have worked if it were
clearing 350MB of transactions out of a 33GB database.

Howard Hansen
http://howardsmusings.com