[Zope] RE: [Zope-dev] Production System Specs

Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:14:54 -0800

I've redirected this to zope@zope.org, since I think deployment topics are
more likely to generate a good discussion there.

My take: Load-balancing: Use squid and ICP support in Zope 2.6 to load
balance.  Consider using directory storage for your backend storage because
backup and replication of your ZEO storage server's storages (for
high-availability clustering) can be done with standard Unix command-line
tools. Hardware: depends on what you are trying to do; for ZEO clients: lots
of low-end dense 1CPU app servers (blade servers), or 2CPU AMD boxes with
plenty of ram running two Zope instances bound to each CPU (assumes CPU
affinity is possible in your OS)...both setups might work. Caching: cache
what you can with Squid, and if you can, tune your ZEO clientstorage
connection cache to fit your needs.  If a lot of pages on your site are
cacheable, cache them in Squid, which has more tunable caching than Apache.

There is no one-size-fits all answer for hardware, unfortunately.  Questions
worth asking:
- Do you need physical density (do you rent rackspace at a premium)?
- How cacheable (at the page level) are your applications?  News delivery is
very cacheable, but personalized ecommerce sites are not.
- How much content are you going to store in the object database?
- How CPU intensive are your applications?  How memory intensive?
- How much traffic do you expect to see to your site?
- What particular processes are very intensive, and how do you think you
want to partition them?  Think about things like bulk reindexing or adding
of content, etc.

I'll give you my thoughts if you have more specific answers to some of these
questions...

Cheers,
Sean